Forgotten Your Password?

Need to Register?

Question Icon

Divorcing. Only assets is my dad's house in Michigan.

what is the best way to get my wife off my the title on my fathers house? he quick deeded it to us 11 years ago, but he is dead now. does she have to sign? the house has been paid off a log time. by seanq972 from Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Mar 29th 2019 Reply

#6 ranked lender in Wisconsin - 50 contributions

Only way is to get her to sign a new Quit Claim Deed.Usually in a Divorce she is entitled to half of the equity.My guess is you need to get a mortgage and pay her - then she will sign the deed.Probably not what you wanted to hear. Certainly if she want nothing to do with the house she can sign off of the house for nothing?Call me if you need further help.

Mar 29th 2019
Michele Bledsoe (MicheleBledsoe)
#139 ranked lender in Illinois - 23 contributions

I am not an attorney and not familiar with Wisconsin laws, but in GA, we are a community State, ANY asset acquired while you are legally married is a marital asset. Which, by law if you were in GA, your wife (or soon to be ex-wife) would be ENTITLED to half the equity in the home. You can override that in an official court stamped divorce decree, meaning if she is willing to give up her equity, you put that in the divorce decree that both you, attorneys and judge signs.

Apr 1st 2019
William J Acres (William_Acres)
#73 ranked lender in Arizona - 8,728 contributions

More info needed, and in all reality, you should be asking your attorney, not an internet blog post. First, you say the home is in Michigan, but your screen name say's your from Wisconsin. If you live in Wisconsin and the home is in Michigan, and the home is deeded to both you and your soon to be ex.. then she's entitled to half.. You go by the laws you live in, not where the property is located in. If you both live in Michigan and the home is in Michigan, then you would be subject to MI laws.. which is considered an "Equitable" distribution state.. the court decides which is fair, and 50/50 split might not be fair according to the courts. To get your ex off the home, she need to sign a deed.. the deed needs to be notarized and then recorded in the county where the home is located in. If you wish to keep the home and the divorce court allows you to do so, then you might need to refinance and pull out enough cash to pay her off what she might be due. Again, much more info is necessary, and you should be speaking to your attorney, but there is a way to both get her off title and get her paid.. I'm a preferred Lender with California and Arizona being my primary markets. If you or someone you know is looking for financing options, feel free to contact me or pass along my information. 480-287-5714 NMLS# 226347 / LendUS, NMLS 1938/ AZMB0121893

Apr 2nd 2019
Subscribe to our news feed.