Forgotten Your Password?

Need to Register?

Question Icon

Getting a divorce and would like my wife off of the loan. Can I do this without refinancing? I am currently upside down on the loan and do not know what to do.

by westmaneshawn90 from Los Gatos, California. Sep 4th 2018 Reply

Andrew Vierra (Andrew Vierra)
#118 ranked lender in California - 12 contributions

No way to get spouse off loan without refinancing.Depending on how far 'upside' down you are, we could calculate options.If you have military service and use a VA loan you can get 100% financing up to $679,650 in Bay Area counties. If not VA, there are other loan programs (Conventional and FHA) that offer higher loan amounts. Best is to have a quick conversation to determine options.I'm at my desk now, if you want to have a quick conversation: Andrew--916-932-7160.

Sep 4th 2018
Joe Metzler (JoeMetzler)
#17 ranked lender in Minnesota - 4,015 contributions

In theory, you can ask a lender to remove another party from the loan. In practice, I've never seen it happen. Realistically, the only way is to refinance. If you have an existing FHA or VA loan, their streamline refinance does not require an appraisal. If your have a Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac backed conventional loan done prior to June 2009, you will not need an appraisal.

Sep 5th 2018
Subscribe to our news feed.