Forgotten Your Password?

Need to Register?

Question Icon

How do I get a loan transferred into my name?

My parents have a property that they are using for rental income. The property is worth about 280-290k, and I want to be able to take ownership of the property. How do they go about putting it in my name? They still owe 72,000 on the loan. What steps do they need to take? Thank you for your help in advance. by brenda4u69 from Reading, Vermont. Sep 22nd 2015 Reply

William J Acres (William_Acres)
#73 ranked lender in Arizona - 8,726 contributions

More info is needed to understand your ultimate goal.. To get the property into your name, you would need to purchase the home and get a loan in your name. Your parents would obviously need to sign.. But understand this could create some tax implications for you.. If you buy the property from your parents for $72K, but it's worth $280, then you just received a gift of nearly $200K.. this gift would have to be disclosed on your taxes and you would have to add that additional income, and you would owe taxes on it.. But understand the rules are different when it comes to a child inheriting a property from a parent.. IRS rules state that the property value at the time of inheritance is the tax basis.. in other words, if you inherited the property today and it's worth $280K, then this becomes your tax basis.. if you sell the home for more than that, you would owe taxes.. if you sold it for that or less, then no taxes would be due.. Also, if they just add your name to the deed, this will not add you to the loan, but only to the title to the property.. this would mean that you would have a 1/3 ownership interest, and the tax implications would still apply, but on 1/3rd of the equity instead of all the equity.. Then there are Trusts.. this is a whole different strategy.. as you can see, it would really help to know what your ultimate goal is.. But realistically, you would be better off talking to a financial planner.. they would be able to align you in the right direction... I'm a Broker here in Scottsdale AZ and I only lend in Arizona. If you or someone you know is looking for financing options, feel free to contact me or pass along my information. William J. Acres, Lender411's number ONE lender in Arizona. 480-287-5714 NMLS# 226347

Sep 22nd 2015
Jesse Stroup (jessestroup)
#4 ranked lender in Idaho - 593 contributions

In order to change the name on the loan you will have to refinance the loan into your name. This can be done if your name is on the title of the home and you may have to be on the title for a period of time. Some lenders may have additional questions about this.

Sep 22nd 2015
Subscribe to our news feed.