Forgotten Your Password?

Need to Register?

Question Icon

How do I get around the turning 18 redetermination for refinancing a home?

by heathermclarenlit728 from Benton, Illinois. Nov 20th 2017 Reply

William J Acres (William_Acres)
#73 ranked lender in Arizona - 8,728 contributions

More info needed, but in general.. if you are unable to purchase your home without the added income from your child who is collecting SSI.. Then the way around it would be to add him to your loan.. assuming he is 18 years of age or older. if he is not.. but he's approaching 18 and the lender is not willing to use their income because of this SSI guideline, then you will have to wait till the child turns 18.. I'm a preferred Lender with California and Arizona being my primary markets. If you or someone you know is looking for financing options, feel free to contact me or pass along my information. 480-287-5714 NMLS# 226347 / RPM Mortgage NMLS 1541014 / AZMB0121893

Nov 21st 2017
Joe Metzler (JoeMetzler)
#1 ranked lender in Minnesota - 4,344 contributions

You'll need to be more specific. But I assume you are referencing a child turning 18, for whom you receive some sort of additional income, like social security disability, child support, etc? Those types of qualifying income MUST be proven to continue a minimum of three-years past the loans closing date. For example, If you can prove it is guaranteed to continue, you can use it. If it is child support, and says something like will continue until they graduate, we can NOT use it, as there is no guarantee the child will go to school, or stay in school. For this situation in MN, WI, or SD, visit me at

Nov 22nd 2017
Subscribe to our news feed.