Forgotten Your Password?

Need to Register?

Question Icon

My wife and I are divorced. The mortgage is in my name. The HELOC is in her name. Can it be transferred to me?

by 41hotrod.bw113 from , California. Jan 25th 2016 Reply

William J Acres (William_Acres)
#73 ranked lender in Arizona - 8,726 contributions

Possibly.. you will have to contact the servicer of the HELOC lender and ask them to see if it's possible.. When it comes to HELOC's, there are no "Conforming" set of guidelines.. every lender who does them can have their own set of rules.. so where one might allow it, another lender might not.. .. I'm a Broker here in Scottsdale AZ and I only lend in Arizona. If you or someone you know is looking for financing options, feel free to contact me or pass along my information. William J. Acres, Lender411's number ONE lender in Arizona. 480-287-5714 NMLS# 226347

Jan 25th 2016
Larry Gray (lgray_312_247)
#593 ranked lender in California - 1,139 contributions

I think William Acres answered your question pretty well. I would add you should have an excellent chance with many lenders since the mortgage is your name. They obviously want to maintain 2nd lien on the property but if you are the only one on title now, make that known that via divorce you have acquired the property in your name only. If they will not allow the HELOC to be transferred into your name only, then I would seek out a credit union or a large bank to redo the heloc in your name.

Jan 25th 2016
Subscribe to our news feed.