Forgotten Your Password?

Need to Register?

Question Icon

private investor

i am a private investor. I am lending my sons father-in-law, as a favor to my son, a hefty amount of money for a small start up farm; $105,500. what type of loan would be recommended for start up farm, on 1/4 of an acre? by soulsseeds462 from Kooskia, Idaho. Apr 24th 2019 Reply

Dave Skow (daveskow)
#16 ranked lender in Washington - 318 contributions

I would suggest a secured loan / lien using the farm as collateral ....make the payments interest only for 5 yrs or so and then have the prin balance be due at the end of the 5 yr period ...use a note rate thats fair ( 5-7% ) might consult with a real estate attorney to make sure all is done correctly

Apr 24th 2019
William J Acres (William_Acres)
#73 ranked lender in Arizona - 8,728 contributions

Much more info needed to property answer your question, but in general, I don't know of any farms that are only 1/4 of an acre,,, so is this a farm or is it a home?? Realistically, your best bet is to help them find an institutional lender... If they don't qualify for institutional lending, (bad credit, judgement, collections, tax problems, etc). then why would you lend to them? That's a large amount of cash you are laying out.. If they have a proven track record of not paying anyone on time, then I would not do it.. Now if you feel compelled to do it, then you need to use an attorney and/or escrow/title company and set it up right. Have the borrower make payments directly to the title company.. the title company will follow up with by producing billing statements, collect and disburse funds and send out notices when the payment is not received, etc.. best of luck to you.. I'm a preferred Lender with California and Arizona being my primary markets. If you or someone you know is looking for financing options, feel free to contact me or pass along my information. 480-287-5714 NMLS# 226347 / LendUS, NMLS 1938/ AZMB0121893

Apr 25th 2019
Subscribe to our news feed.