Forgotten Your Password?

Need to Register?

Question Icon

Remove me from the title.

I want to remove my name from the title of the house with my x-husband. He refuses to remove me...Is this possible? by arnold397 from Culver City, California. Dec 26th 2018 Reply

William J Acres (William_Acres)
#73 ranked lender in Arizona - 8,728 contributions

More info needed, but the short answer is yes.. you can be removed from the deed,but if there is an outstanding loan on it.. the only way to be removed is to pay off the loan, either by refinancing, paying it off with cash, or selling the property. First, look at your divorce decree.. if he was awarded the home in the divorce, then in most states, the divorce decree can be used to transfer the ownership.. if your state does not allow the divorce decree to be used as an instrument of title transfer, then you would need to go back to the divorce judge and have him/her force your ex to remove you from the deed. If he was not awarded the home in the divorce, but you had an agreement, then you could take him to court and force him to do it.. Again, so much info is missing, that it's difficult to speculate.. but the short answer is YES.. there is a way to get off the title.. I'm a preferred Lender with California and Arizona being my primary markets. If you or someone you know is looking for financing options, feel free to contact me or pass along my information. 480-287-5714 NMLS# 226347 / LendUS, NMLS 1938/ AZMB0121893

Dec 27th 2018
Subscribe to our news feed.