Top 5 Veteran Benefits You Didn't Take Advantage of in 2016
Thursday, December 29, 2016 -
Mortgages for Veterans - Mortgages for America -
In a couple of days, it will be 2017. The New Year brings excitement, intrigue and wonder, but it is also a good time to look back and reflect on the past year. As an active duty or veteran servicemember, your New Year's Resolution should be to take advantage of the many VA benefits available to you.
Here's a look at the top 5 veteran benefits you didn't take advantage of in 2016:
- A VA Home Loan: Perhaps one of the more valuable and more well-known of the VA benefits, a VA loan allows current and former military members to buy a home with as little as zero down payment. And, interest rates on VA loans are typically lower than a conventional mortgage. VA loans are available for primary residences up to four units and the benefit can be used multiple times. For more information or to apply for a VA loan, click here.
- A College Education: The GI Bill was originally enacted to help veterans and their dependents pay for higher education. For more information of eligibility requirements, check out com. When combined with other local, state and federal grants, veterans can sometimes attend college absolutely free.
- Long-term Care: Long-term care is expensive, but many veterans are entitled to money to help pay for assisted living and other long-term care expenses. Currently, veterans and their spouses are entitled to received up to $25,020 a year, which takes care of a significant portion of long-term care expenses.
- Death Benefits: Funeral expenses add up quickly and usually end up falling to your loved ones. But veterans are entitled to death benefits for themselves and their spouse, which helps ease the financial burden so that family members can grieve properly. The VA also provides free headstones and grave markers.
- Free Tax Prep Services: Thanks to the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance offices on military bases, Veterans and their families have access to free tax preparation services.
Happy New Year!
Equity Mortgage Lending
Owings Mills, MD
GSF Mortgage Corporation
Cape Coral, FL
Clifton Park, NY